Monday, October 29, 2007

Another reason why FPTP sucks

Last month, I wrote a quick blog citing the weaknesses of the first-past-the-post system referencing, as Political Staples puts it, "the ultimate abuse case [...], the 1987 New Brunswick provincial election."

Well, I see that the 20th anniversary of that election victory just past and a member of that government, Camille Theriault, indirectly makes a case of how the FPTP system can be very unrepresentative, undemocratic and inefficient for many who use it when he jokingly mentions his de facto role as leader of the official opposition/shadow cabinet:

Taking all 58 seats also presented its own challenges. With no opposition party in the legislature, McKenna asked backbenchers in caucus to form a kind of shadow cabinet.

Camille Theriault said he remembers the speculation that he was an obvious choice for McKenna's first cabinet. The former premier had other plans for Theriault -- leading the shadow opposition.

"The ironic thing about that is I have to question Shirley Dysart, who's then the minister of education. I'm trying to get two schools built in my area," Theriault recalled.

"Do you think I'm going to stand up in the house and say, 'Shirley ... you're not nice?' No, I'm going to say, 'Shirley, you're the greatest minister we ever had. I want two schools.' "

With his experience, methinks Camille would make a very good advocate for electoral reform in New Brunswick. Although, I have an inkling he would prefer the status quo over a better and more efficient system.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home